Open Mon - Fri 9.30am - 5.00pm
+44 (0) 203 302 2296
  • What's covered

    • Excess Protection up to £6,000 Sum Insured
      Protection against Fire, Theft and Vandalism included
      Covers Bodywork, Tyres, Roof, Windscreen and Undercarriage
      Covers Towing*, Breakdown and Missfuelling excess costs
      Available in DAILY single trip and ANNUAL multi trip formats
      Up to 65 days continuous cover on any one rental agreement
      Book DAILY single trip and ANNUAL policies up to 180 days in advance
      9 additional drivers covered as standard when named on rental agreement.
  • What's not covered

    • Mechanical breakdown due to wear and tear or malfunction
      Accidental damage to the vehicle’s interior
      Vehicles with more than 9 seats
      Countries not defined as European territories
      Charges relating to fines and driving infractions
      Rentals that commence before a policy has incepted
      Competitive, performance and offroad driving

*Towing and breakdown costs not covered if the vehicle breaks down due to a mechanical fault as these remain the rental company's responsibility.

European Car Hire FAQs

  • removeHow does the European car hire excess insurance policy work?
    • Quite simply, if the rental company charge you an excess fee in relation to damage or theft, we will reimburse you what you were charged.

      Our policies cover YOU (the driver), not the rental company or rental vehicle. That means the rental company will charge you directly and, once you return from your trip, you can submit a claim with us for reimbursement. Our claims team typically process claims within 14 days of submission.

  • removeDo I need Car Hire Excess Insurance in the UK & Europe?
    • Car hire excess insurance isn’t legally required in Europe, however it is recommended as without it you’ll be on the hook for the full excess amount if your vehicle is damaged or stolen. Independent research has found rental companies charging upward of £2,000 in some European territories.

  • removeWill the rental company try to sell me similar cover?
    • Yes, without a doubt. However, rental companies sell excess waivers rather than excess insurance, and there are benefits to having an insurance policy over a waiver agreement:

      1. Insurance products, and those who sell them, are financially regulated by the FCA
      2. Policyholders can escalate complaints to the Financial Ombudsmen Service for resolution
      3. Customers have a cooling off period, allowing them to cancel should their need for the insurance change

      What’s more, waivers sold at rental desks can cost more than £20 a day in some territories and often don’t cover vulnerable parts of the vehicle such as tyres, roof, windscreen and undercarriage.

  • removeWill I be required to leave a deposit?
    • Yes. Regardless of whether you have standalone car hire excess insurance or not, you’ll be asked to leave a deposit when collecting your rental vehicle. Most rental companies will insist that funds are blocked on a credit card rather than a debit card, so remember to bring a credit card with you and ensure sufficient funds are available for this.

Travel Tips and Guides

disabled driving in europe infographic

A great resource for those travelling in Europe with a Blue Badge Parking Permit. Here you can download a local language

Read more

An invaluable guide for anyone who’s unfamiliar with how driving laws vary from country to country within Europe. Find out

Read more

European parking guide infographic

Our handy European parking guide has been designed to help you tackle the various, unfamilar local parking rules and restrictions

Read more

Policy information

IPID front page

Insurance Product Information Document

Download to read the Insurance Product Information Document (IPID) highlighting key information and benefits of our car hire insurance policy.


IPID front page

Policy wording

Important information you can download about the terms and conditions of our car hire insurance policy.